Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Johnson Co., Kansas

A Forbes Magazine article published at the end of June 2008 ranks Johnson County, Kansas #3 on the list of America's Best Places to Raise a Family.

"Home to Kansas City suburbs Overland Park and Olathe, Johnson County ranks third on our list because of its affordability and accessibility. Family-friendly perks include an average commute of 20 minutes, 5,000 acres of parkland and over 4,000 recreational programs annually."

I'm a proud Johnson County resident, and can attest to the livability of my city, Merriam, KS. I'm an outdoorsy farm girl from Iowa, so I am thrilled with the hundreds of miles of biking and running trails, lakes, and open space in Johnson County. I'm currently renting a brand new, spacious, three-bedroom/two-bathroom townhome for $975/month, and my daily commute to Hallmark is only 10 miles (15 minutes).

I also enjoy numerous social hangouts, including KC favorites like Tanner's, Barley's Brewhaus, and The Beach Bar and Grill, which is right next to Shawnee Mission Beach Volleyball Club. And what girl doesn't love to shop! Here are a couple of the places I frequent: Oak Park Mall and Town Center Plaza.

Finally, though I don't have children yet, but I have friends who do, and they have found excellent schools for their children in Johnson County. Click here to learn more on Johnson County schools.

No comments: