Friday, June 27, 2008

"Breathtaking..."


There you have it, folks... That's my review of last night's performance of "ESO:TERRA" by Kansas City-based Performance Ensemble Quixotic.

From the program: "Quixotic's "Eso:terra" or "Mystery of Earth," is a dynamic combination exploring the concepts of "progression" on philosophical and metaphysical levels. A Living Installation of the first order, "Eso:terra" is a multimedia kaleidoscope of rich lighting, compelling movement, flowing fabrics, aerial artistry, live original music, and poetry that moves the viewer profoundly by appealing to all of the senses. A fusion of presitgious [LOCAL!] performers, video textures, and tapestries or sound -- at once exotic spiritual, "Eso:terra" has the dimension to be an enrapturing experience for all."

This is the first time that I have been to something like this, and I'd go again in a heartbeat. The sheer strength and athleticism of the performers was amazing (I could see every performer's six-pack abs from the middle of the Uptown Theater for goodness sake), the aerial stunts in media such as fabric, netting, and trapeze had me on the edge of my seat, and oh, the music: drums of all sizes and shapes, a digerydoo, wind chimes, an electric violin, an upright bass, keyboards, saxophones...

This is a show I would recommend to anyone and everyone. You don't have to be and artist or creative to appreciate a show like this. I took my boyfriend, Eric, who usually opts out of more "artsy" things for sports, camping, and video games, and he was very impressed. He even tried doing one of the stunts when we got home... [side note: there should be a disclaimer on the program: "All stunts are performed by professional athletes. Do not attempt.]

Tickets are still available for tonight's performance if anyone is looking for something to do on a Friday night in KC!

6 comments:

Jeanee said...

My fiance, Shaun Duval is DJing the after party tonight. So I'll be there!!! Maybe I'll get some good pics for the blog...

Anonymous said...

awesome! i'm excited that shaun is dj-ing -- it is an unbelievable event to be a part of! :o)

Jeanee said...

Thanks Erin! I'm looking forward to it tonight. Especially after your review.

I went the year before last (their 1st performance) and it was amazing then! It was in a little place on 18th and Oak, 1st come 1st serve. We almost didn't get in and we had to stand in back of this little hot place. Last year they were at Madrid (I didn't go to that one) and this year at Uptown. So they are growing into bigger venues!!! And I'm sure, from what it sounds like, that I won't be missing any more performances after tonight.

Jeanee said...

Erin,
Ditto on your review of the Quixotic performance. It was GREAT!

Anonymous said...

did you get any good pics of the show/Shaun on friday?? post 'em if you've got 'em! [i had my camera in my purse the whole time on thursday, and didn't take a single pic! i think i was too enthralled....]

Jeanee said...

My pics came out super blurry :(