Tuesday, September 9, 2008

KC IMPROV FESTIVAL


Pictured above is my friend Pat (far left), me (gray t-shirt), my friend Stacy (red shirt), and the members of improv group Der Monkenpickel featuring Jason Sudeikis (far right).

This past Saturday I spent the day participating in the KC Improv Festival Workshops. What a fun experience! I had been a member of an improv group back in high school, but I have to admit I was a bit scared to dive into an all day event where I was forced out of my comfort zone. Luckily I had two of my wackiest (that's a compliment) friends come down from Iowa to join me.

We spent the morning with Jill Bernard, a professional improv performer from Minneapolis, learning her method of VAPAPO. Focusing on Voice, Attitude, Posture, Animal, Prop, or Obsession we were able to build compelling characters to create scenes and situations. Let me tell you, it was hilarious.

In the afternoon we learned how to take absolutely everything further with Eric Davis. Following impulses and feelings we acted upon them, and continued pushing it further and further and further and further....

The day concluded with a performance and after party. Both were fantastic! Jason Sudeikis (of SNL fame) performed with his group, Jill Bernard did her unbelievably entertaining "Drum Machine", as well as two other talented groups played to a sold out theater. The after party was held at Bar Natasha where Jason Sudeikis took the stage for a couple of numbers.

The KC Improv Festival was a great experience! You can catch local improvisers this weekend at the H&R Block City Stage in Union Station. Click this link to order tickets. (PS- Hallmark's own Trish Berrong is a member of the group "Tantrum.") Don't miss it!

Read what the Kansas City Star had to say about it here.

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

mr. man on the far right...um...yes please.

Scott said...

Its time once again! KCiF is returning in just 2 weeks :) http://kcimprovfestival.com